Sunday, April 30, 2017

Another go around with almond milk...and this time I win!

A couple of years ago when I was trying to consume less dairy I bought already made almond milk and man did my taste buds find it nasty. This time around knowing that I have a moderately unhappy reaction to dairy gives me more motivation and I found my brain in a better place to try almond milk again. I took the challenge in a little different direction this time though, I decided to try making my own and see if I could come up with something that I would be happy splashing in a coffee drink (since that is about all I actually use milk for anyway these days and guess what...I did!
It turns out that almond milk isn't rocket science. It also turns out that it is much better with a little added sweetness which a couple of dates and a little vanilla are well suited to provide! I read every recipe on the web I could find (they were all very close versions of the same) and it only took following one to realize that I like a texture that was more milkier than it is watery so no problem smaller amount of water or a few more nuts and the problem is solved!
It is now easy and quick enough for me to make that I even took my ingredients (and my mesh bag for squeezing the pulp out) on a trip to NYC so that I wasn't tempted to have a splash of dairy where it wasn't an actual splurge! This was great because it allowed me to eat mindfully and to make each and every splurge really count in a city that is FULL of amazing food! 

No comments:

Post a Comment