Saturday, May 13, 2017

Starting the anti-inflammation protocol


The first two weeks of the diet are spent getting the body ready for what is ahead, so that the adjustment is easier and much more pleasant. By the time any changes start you have already had an individual visit with each Doctor on the team,(there are three of them) and in turn they have all put their heads together with a plan for your specific needs. My team is taking my multiple sclerosis, trigeminal neuralgia, and psoriasis (all exacerbated by inflammation) and hormonal imbalances into consideration.

I was started on several supplements and an rx that corresponded with the needs shown from all of the lab tests taken during and after my first visit to this group of Doctors, no guessing games (which is how a lot of people think it is with supplements)! I began preparing and drinking two medical food shakes a day that are packed with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and then have a scoop of fiber, a specific fruit complex, flax oil and flax powder added to them. These shakes are again tailored to my specific bodies needs. During these first 14 days I am told not to change my eating habits because adding the shakes (and supplements and the rx) was an important part of letting my body adjust for what was ahead.

I was already in the process of for me what have been pretty significant changes but I agreed to hold where I was and not continue to eliminate things on my own, which was perfect since I had a trip to NYC during this time and would not have to feel "bad" about a few planned indulgences. Plus I was looking forward to seeing if there would be changes in how I might react to the foods I had not been eating, so I was going to get to do my own science experiment and with their blessing :-) total win win!

In the week I was away I never missed a shake and I got to enjoy two amazing cappuccinos, on separate visits to a favorite French cafe, where I learned that the dairy caffeine and gluten combo doesn't have the love for me that I have for it.  The trip was interesting because I could already see my attitudes and ideas changing. The things that I ate "off plan" were planned. They were not just random stuffing your face moments AND I was 100% happy with missing what I missed and having what I had. In my lifetime there are likely to be multiple trips a year to the city that has everything (including my daughter and her husband :-( so it was easy to leave some things untried)

A day doesn't go by that I don't ponder how really lucky I am to be doing this ant -inflammation project with such great support. This is so much different than reading a book and deciding that every food that can cause inflammation is wreaking havoc on you. It is knowing for SURE what foods aren't good for you, and which ones are okay for a bite or two vs which ones are actually having a huge impact on your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment